Hugh Jackman, whose skin cancer has returned six times, urges fans to use sunscreen; know the first signs
Beyond Bumps and Moles: Doctors Name a Silent Symptom of Skin Cancer
Happy Birthday, Rakesh Roshan: Throat cancer survivor, overcame squamous cell carcinoma; says he won’t stop drinking occasionally because it makes him ‘feel mentally strong’
What is skin
Being one of the most common forms of cancer today, skin cancer is an abnormal growth of skin cells that usually occurs when overexposed to the sun. There are generally three types of skin cancer
Basal cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
Breast cancer in men: symptoms you need to know
Can women develop prostate cancer? Experts say they could, find out how
Doctors say any type of skin cancer can be treated if caught early. According to studies, skin cancer affects people of all skin colors, even the darkest. Even though sun exposure is mostly attributed to this cancer, doctors say even unexposed areas like the armpits, shoulders and soles of the feet can be significantly affected.
Signs and Symptoms of Skin Cancer
- Brown spots with darker spots all over
- A mole that suddenly changes color, size, or sensation and begins to bleed
- A small lesion with an irregular border that changes color to red or blue-black
- A painful lesion that itches or scratches and burns
- Dark lesions on the palms, soles, fingertips, or toes, or on the mucous membranes lining the mouth or nose
- Many times certain cancers also grow in the blood vessels of the skin, causing purple or red spots on the mucous membrane.
- Inflammation or swelling of hair follicles
- The emergence of hard and painless nodules
Schedule an appointment with the doctor if these signs and symptoms become very noticeable. Remember that skin cancer can be fatal if not treated in time.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting any fitness program or making any changes to your diet.